Nirmal Kumar BK
Visiting Associate/PhD Researcher
Nirmal Kumar BK is a PhD Student at Kathmandu University in collaboration with NCCR North-South South Asia Programme. His research focuses on food security, resource scarcity and exclusion/inclusion issues. Mr BK has 15 years working experiences for Nepal Livelihoods and Forestry Programme at the Department for International Development (DFID) of the UK, United Mission to Nepal and German Development Cooperation (GIZ) supported projects. He has published half a dozen scientific articles in peer-reviewed journals from Nepal on social and institutional aspect of food security, resource scarcity, political conflict and natural resource management.
Department for International Development (DFID/UK): Livelihoods and Forestry Programme
- Acting Regional Programme Coordinator: June to July, 2010 (1.5 months), in Eastern Region
- Deputy Regional Programme Coordinator: July, 2007 to May, 2010 (3 Years) in Eastern Region
- District Manager: January 2005 to April 2007 in Parbat district
- District Programme Officer: April 2000 to Dec 2004 (9 months as community forestry officer in Nepal UK community forestry project) in Parbat District
United Mission to Nepal (UMN): Dhading Resource Management Project
- Community Forestry Officer (One year): October 1999 to March 2000 in Dhading District
- Managing change (15 days) organized by Organization Development Centre (ODC), Kathmandu, Nepal in March 2003 (Modular basis).
- Sustainable Livelihood Approach: qualitative and quantitative methods (15 days) organized by LFP/TANGO International in Kathmandu, Nepal in April 2003(Modular basis).
- GIS application in Rural Development (27 days) organized by LFP/FINMAP, FM International, Kathmandu, Nepal in June 2004(Modular basis).
- Social and Geographical Audit (One month) organized by LFP/HURDEC in Parbat, Nepal, November, 2005 (OJT modular basis).
- Professional Development Training (one month) organized by University of Wolverhampton, Wolverhampton United Kingdom in October, 2009.
- IGS North-South Summer School (7 days) organized by International Graduate School NCCR-North South in Meiringen, Switzerland, 23 – 29 August 2012.
- Asia Regional Training Course (7 days) organized by NCCR-North South, Kathmandu, Nepal, 01-07 July 2011.
- BK, N.K. (2011). Community Forestry and Resource Scarcities to the Poor dalit: A Political Ecology of Community Based Forest Resource Management in Nepal. Journal of Participatory Development. Vol. 13, No 12
- BK, N.K. (2010).Maoist People’s War and community adaptation: a case of Community Forestry User Groups Nepal. Journal of Forest and Livelihood. Vol.10 No.1.
- BK, NK and Gyawali, N.R. (2009). Ethno-political Ecology of Social Exclusion: A Discourse in Community Forestry of Nepal. Vikas: Journal of National Planning Commission of Nepal. Vol.30.No.2
- BK, N.K., Shrestha, R., Acharya, S.G. and Ansari, A.S (2009).Maoist Conflict, Community Forestry and Livelihoods: Pro-poor Innovations in Forest Management in Nepal. Journal of Forest and Livelihood. Vol.8. No.2. Pp. 93-109.
- Bishokarma, Nirmal Kumar and Sharma, Sagar Raj (2012 forthcoming). Climate Change and Food Insecurity: Institutional Barriers to Adaptation of Marginal Groups in the Far-western Region of Nepal. In: Gaby Kissinger and Mohamed Behnassi (eds). Sustainable Food Security in the Era of Local and Global Environmental Change. Springer
- Yamuna Ghale and Nirmal Kumar Bishokarma (2012 forthcoming). Food Security: A Fundamental Basis for Human Security. In: Bishnu Raj Upreti, Rajan Bhattrai and Geja Sharma Wagle (eds). Human Security. NIPS/NCCR-Kathmandu.
Presentations at International Conferences
- Community Forestry Practices in Nepal (2009): Paper presented in University of Cumbria , United Kingdom (October, 2009)
- Developing Local Resource Person in Forestry: A Case of Community Forestry of Nepal. Paper presented in international conference on forest education and research in Laguna, Philippines (23-25 November, 2010)
- Climate Change and Livelihoods: Implications of Social Exclusion in vulnerability of food security in Nepal. Paper presented in Conference on “Environmental Change and Migration: From Vulnerabilities to Capabilities” held in Belfield, Germany, 5-9 December 2010.
- Commuting Based Climate Change Adaptation. Paper presented in workshop in Bangkok organized by RECOFTC (Regional Community Forestry Training Centre for Asia Pasific) (1-3, August 2011.)
- Social dimension of climate change and forced migration. Paper presented in Climate Change and Forced Migration in Manila, Philippines organized by ADB (14-16, Septemebr, 2011).
- Food entitlement: factors and institutions in resource scarce areas: a study from far-western region of Nepal. Paper presented (With Ass. Prof. Dr. S.R. Sharma) in 3rd International Conference on Research for Development (ICRD 2012) in Bern, Switzerland in 20 – 22 August 2012.
- Intra-household food insecurity: Gender dimension of food entitlement in resource scarce areas in the far- western region of Nepal. Paper presented in the Human Development and Capability Association (HDCA) International Conference, held in Jakarta Indonesia in September 5th -7th, 2012
- Community Based Climate Change
Adaptation: a Case of Community Forestry Programme of Nepal. Paper presented in
UNU-WIDER Conference on ‘Climate Change and Development Policy’ 28-29 September
2012, Helsinki, Finland.